In October, the DeKalb Bar Association’s Family Law Section presented its Third Annual CLE on Advanced Custody Litigation. Attendance was sold out! Held at the State Bar headquarters, the day-long program offered an impressive 7.5 CLE credit hours.
Alice W. Limehouse and Georgia Lord co-chaired the program. Attendees enjoyed the breadth and depth of the topics presented, which included:
- Sheri Tomblin Lake, Esq. spoke about the rules governing custody claims by third parties;
- M. Debra Gold, Esq.; Suzann M. Wilcox, Esq.; Aisha Blanchard Collins, Esq.; and Dawn E. De Klerk, Esq. discussed challenging issues faced by guardians ad litem, facilitated by M. Debra Gold, Esq.;
- Divida Gude, Esq. talked about the finer points of pleading in custody cases
- Gerald Bruce, Esq. reviewed the best ways for the court to interview a child;
- Daniel A. Bloom, Esq.; Charles P. Boring, Esq.; and Mesha Ellis, PhD, LSC discussed the “best practices” in cases with concerns of child sexual abuse, facilitated by Charles E. Bailey, Esq.;
- Justin H. Hayes, Esq. and Louis Tesser, Esq. hit the high points of recent custody case law;
- Sarah McCormack, Esq. synopsized custody issues concerning international travel and The Hague Convention;
- Hon. Bensonetta Tipton Lane, Former Fulton Superior Court Judge; Ivory T. Brown, Esq.; and Rebecca Crumrine Rieder, Esq. discussed effectively presenting your case at hearings and trials, facilitated by Georgia K. Lord, Esq.;
- Robert B. Remar, Esq. and Kim Oppenheimer, PhD spoke about recurring issues of legal privilege and psychologist ethics;
- Janet Fluker, LPC, CPCS and Rob Heller, LPC, NCC discussed how to move beyond basic approaches for alcohol and drug addiction, facilitated by Alice Limehouse, Esq.; and
- Hon. Christopher S. Brasher, Superior Court of Fulton County; Hon. Courtney L. Johnson, Superior Court of DeKalb County; and Hon. Robert D. Leonard, Superior Court of Cobb County discussed the judges’ perspective on custody litigation, facilitated by Kyla S. Lines, Esq.
The program wrapped up with an al fresco happy hour at the adjacent Glenn Hotel. Enjoying the balmy autumn evening on The Glenn Hotel’s rooftop bar was the perfect way to unwind after the day-long CLE.
The happy hour was sponsored by Alice W. Limehouse, Esq.; Blanchard Collins Law Firm, LLC; Charles E. Bailey, Esq.; CapVal-ABA; Ellis Hoyle King de Klerk LLC; Georgia Lord, Esq.; Justin H. Hayes, PC; Richardson Bloom & Lines LLC; and Smith & Lake LLC.
The Family Law Section looks forward to presenting the Fourth Annual CLE program on Advanced Custody Litigation next fall.